Confirmation Level One
Children's Faith Formation
CONFIRMATION LEVEL ONE
General policies for the Children’s Faith Formation apply to the Confirmation Program with the addition of the following:
COHORTS: Candidates will be assigned to a group of peers, facilitated by two adult catechists, and remain as a group for the two year process.
CURRICULUM: The two year Confirmation process is based on the DVD based series, CHOSEN, by Ascension Press.
PREPARATION: Candidates are expected to bring their textbooks to each session. Catechist can give assignment at their discretion.
CLASSTIMES: There are eight (8) sessions for Level One.>BR>
Unless otherwise noted,
** Tuesday sessions occur 6:15- 8:30 p.m.
** Saturday sessions occur 9- 11:15 a.m.
ATTENDANCE: The flexibility of this program is possible with full candidate attendance. Therefore:
- Tardiness (beyond five minutes) warrants nonparticipation.
- Early dismissal will not be allowed
- Missed workshops must be made up.
- The Sacrament of Confirmation will be offered only if all requirements are completed.
DISMISSAL FROM SESSIONS
- In cases where this code is violated, the candidate will receive a SINGLE verbal warning by the catechist.
- Afterwards, the candidate will be escorted to the office, and the parent will be contacted to pick up their child.
- The candidate will be required to make up the workshop.
- Due to illness or unforeseen circumstances, candidates will be offered opportunities to make up missed sessions.
- After both sessions are completed for a given month, CHOSEN catechists will be asked to facilitate a makeup session. Once secured, parents will be contacted, via email, on the date and time of the makeup session.
- The director may intervene if there is an abuse of the makeup policy.
- A candidate may be allowed to begin the second year, with the understanding that all requirements for both years must be fulfilled in order to receive the sacrament.
CHOOSING A SPONSOR
- According to the Code of Canon Law (n. 874) of the Roman Catholic Church, a sponsor
*** has completed the Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation)
*** is Roman Catholic or Eastern Rite Catholic (in union with Rome).
*** is at least 16 years old
*** is not a parent or stepparent of the child
- It is preferred that the sponsor be the same person(s) present at the Baptism. Canon no. 893
- There is no requirement that the sponsor and candidate be of the same gender.
- There should be one sponsor per candidate
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SPONSOR
- Fully participate in SPIRIT DAY, February 4, 2017
- Full participate in the sponsor meeting and Rite of Enrollment, Fall, 2017
- Participate in the final hour of the candidate’s retreat, Fall 2017 or Winter 2018
- Be present at the Confirmation Rehearsal, Spring, 2018.
- It the sponsor is not available for these events, a parent must serve as a proxy.
Level One 2016 - 2017
Session 2: Tuesday, September 27/ Saturday, October 1
Session 3: Tuesday, October 25/Saturday, October 29 (All Level One Candidates)
Session 4: Tuesday, November 15 Saturday, November 19
Session 5: Saturday, February 4
*** SPIRIT DAY 3 p.m. - 5 p.m. Mass, Rite of Welcome
*** Sponsors or parent substitutes are required to attend, 3 p.m. - participation in 5 p.m. Mass
Session 6: Tuesday, February 21/ Saturday, February 25
Session 7: Tuesday, March 21/ Saturday, March 25
Session 8: Tuesday, April 4/ Saturday, April 8
Orientation for Level Two- Parents attendance is required